Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Interview excerpt with Dan Hickling

Some of you may know Dan Hickling, a well-regarded freelance writer who lives in Maine. Dan agreed to be interviewed for our book, and here is a portion of the interview here. I like Dan's attitude about the business...change is here and within lies opportunity.



Are the skill sets that made you successful the same today as they were when you were coming up?

Not sure what those skills are, other than being a decent judge of people. And I can ask a question or two. I work hard at my writing, and since I've never had a client refuse to use me again, I guess that has been sufficient. However, I am a man of faith, and probably enjoy the craft of sports writing more each day than the previous one, and people I deal with seem to pick up on that.

How do you feel about the industry today?

I feel we're on the verge of something uncharted. There is a thirst for information, and somehow, some way, it has to be quenched. Newspapers as that conduit are dying. But as old as I am (55), I am one to embrace change, and I want to be part of whatever is coming next. I see it as a challenge, but as an opportunity, too.

What innovations are necessary in order to keep journalism viable?

As long as our hearts, minds, and reservoir of courage can keep ahead of the technology, journalism will be viable.

Dan Hickling

No comments:

Post a Comment