Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mentorship=Success


In 1996, I was a first-time television reporter working in Augusta, Georgia. I had the basic skills I needed to acquire the job--I could write to video relatively well and thanks to really good face powder, in the looks department, I was passable on camera. What I didn't have was self-confidence, a product of being a rookie reporter. What I needed was experience. And I got it, thanks to a man named Byron Grandy.

Byron saw something in me no one else did. He threw me into situations where he knew I would be uncomfortable, just so I would gain the experience. Leaning how to fail is essential before you can appreciate success. Byron taught me how to fail forward, not backwards. They were lessons that can only come from a mentor.

As part of our weekly innovator series, we interviewed Grandy, currently General Manager of KMGH-TV, the ABC affiliate in Denver, CO. Here is a portion of the interview, the rest we will post later in the week.

What was your first job?

My first paying job was at KBTX-TV in Bryan, TX. I made just over 3 dollars an hour but loved every minute of it. I hounded the ND at the station for weeks, calling with story ideas and to let him know I was available to cover things for them in the neighboring town I was living. I think the ND just got tired of hearing from me and hired me. I appreciate what he did.

Who was a mentor for you in the business? What did they teach you?

All of my bosses have been mentors. I have learned much from all of these leaders. They have taught me the lesson of “to have real power is the ability to empower others.” You must understand you’re not going to do it alone so you must be involved with others. They have taught me the value of compassion in leadership. To make sure you are there for them in the tough times not just the good. I have learned the value of listening and collaboration.

How did your career evolve on the track it is on today?

Who knows. I was a TV weatherman in 1983 and now they let me run a TV station. I’m not sure there is a track. You just work hard each day, learn what you can and look for the job that you enjoy and are challenged in. I’ve always told people you can do whatever you want in this business. You just have to get going and keep your eyes open. After years as a reporter I wanted to have impact on more than just the story I was doing so I got in to managing newsrooms. After years of that, I liked the challenge of running a business so I set my sights on the GM job.


Byron is not only a mentor to many, he has a few innovative ideas on journalism moving forward, and we will share those with you in our next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment